Monday, December 8, 2008

Second Childhood Adventure - Me~12 yrs. - Robert~12 yrs.

Both of the two Childhood Adventures are only two stories from a children's book I'm working on. Please feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think. There's lots more...but these are two little blurbs I thought would be good for the class. -Chris

First one was my sister and I digging through Fossils.
This one is my friend and I snorkeling down the Sun River. (He walked half the time because he was too cold).
It may be a surprise that the two stories piece together, but they do.


"Mermaid Depths"


I am Jaques Pleasteua.... ze famous underwater diving explorer. It is my duty to explore every inch of zis rivair, and every inch I will. I have floated many miles down ze rivair, and during zis time I have seen a native following me, sticking his head in and out of the bushais as I go.
He looks friendly, but a little on the funny side wiz his big shorts and goofy sandal looking feet. I tried to ignore him as I discovered ze beautiful big rocks, ze beautiful slimey slimes, ze little canyons below the dark depths of ze raging river....but I couldn't. He continued to follow me.
As I floated, uncomfortable because I was being followed by zis crazy native man, I noticed a shack on ze side of ze river. It looked like it was made from ze logs and sticks of ze trees zat it stood below, and it was falling apart. I decided to seek cover from ze native man in zere. I ran out wiz my wet sandals and wet wetness, ran past the rotting boat that sat to the left of the shack, and popped into the shack.
I had to almost walk at a squat because the roof was coming in. The native reached the shack.
"Chris, what are you doing in there?"
"Native, my nem is not Chris. I am Jacques Pleastueaeua, and I will not let you take me!"
"Ok, well, are we going to keep going down the river Chris, or are we going back yet?"
"I will not give up, I never give up! Native boy, if you want to join me zen jump in ze rivair and let us finish around ze next bend. Will you swim or will you not?"
"Um, yeah...I'll swim a little longer, but then we go back to the beach, ok?"
"As long as I can complete my misshown, I will return wherever wiz you."
And wiz zat we jumped back into ze water, and even zough we floated fairly fast, boz of us were quite cold, so we swam faster and faster.
As we turned ze next bend, it became quite clear zat zis part of the river was much different zan ze rest. It opened up into a giant pool. Boz ze Native and I stopped moving wiz ze water.
To ze right was a high hill zat hid this little pool from ze rest of the world, and to ze left was a fence, running perpendicular to ze river, zat ran straight into ze river, disappearing into its depths. Was zere a use for ze fence below ze surface of ze rivair?
"Have ya looked below da water here, Jacques?"
"No, boy, what is zere?"
"Look."
And as I did, it was what I couldn't see zat surprised me ze most. I couldn't see ze bottom of ze river! What I could see was formation after formation. Big rocks, or maybe it was all one rock, I couldn't tell. It looked like a little city beneaz ze waters. Big towers, tunnels, shapes of all types, and everything wiz smooz edges. It was so dark, but zere were so many windows in the big rocks zat I searched and searched for zat merman or mermaid to pop it head out. Zen ze Native spoke.
"I'm gonna explore," was all he said before he disappeared into ze depths. As I watched him, I came to discover zat ze Native who had followed me all along was not a normal Native... no. As he swam in and out of the windows of the rounded towers, I saw zat zis was where he belonged. From high up, as he swam fast through ze dark, I saw his sandals become his tail and his shorts become his scales, and he became ze creature I had been looking for all along.

No comments: